Monday, January 6, 2020

Christmas vacation is over!

Tuesday

I was so tired when Ruby woke up. I just put on TV and fell asleep on the couch. I finally made myself get up at 9:45 am. Maggie got up a few minutes later. I called to get the car jumped and drove to Firestone to get a new battery. They didn't charge me since I was there like a week ago.

Next we went to a body shop to get an estimate for fixing the car. What a pain this whole thing is.

We came home and watched movies and read and I don't know until Jill woke up from her nap. We went to Laurie's for New Year's Eve. It was Laurie and Jeff et al, me and mine, Angie and her kids, Mickey and Bryan and Vera. It was very fun. The food was great. The kids mostly had a good time and weren't too awful.

Riley, Angie's older daughter (she's 12), played so sweetly and the whole time we were there, with the babies. They loved her.


We had already decided we were spending the night. The roads get scary on NYE. It was not a good night for sleep. We let all the kids stay up until 8:30 pm or so. Ruby and I were sleeping on an air mattress in Ella's room. Maggie, Ella, and Vera slept in Jill's bunkbed, although Vera left at some point. I could not sleep. I was up until 4 am and then Ruby was up by 6:45 am.

Wednesday

We just went into the living room and I turned on cartoons for her and tried to sleep. It had been soooooooo cold in Ella's room but I fell asleep quite quickly on the couch. All the rest of the kids were up a few minutes later.

Once Laurie and Jeff got up, Laurie wanted to watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. It was very fun. And we just laid about all day. I was planning on leaving at 6 pm but they wanted me to stay so we could keep laying about, which is my favorite. So at 7:30 pm I went home to tend to my pets and they put the children to bed.

Then we continued watching Mrs. Maisel and Jeff made his famous drunk nachos (he calls them that). That night we slept in the office and it was much warmer and I was out immediately.

Thursday

Ruby was up by 6:15 am. Back to the living room. No one got up for a while. I got Ruby water and a banana and went back to sleep on the couch. Jilli came out around 8 am. She told me Ruby woke her up and I said, oh no, but then she said, well I got up and went potty and came out and then Ruby wanted me to play. So, not exactly.

The little girls started getting bars at this point. Then, the big girls got up and Ella was convinced that Ruby had Nutella. She asked her and Ruby said yes. But Ruby has no idea what Nutella is, so I'm sure she just said whatever she thought Ella wanted to hear. So Ella decided that the kids could have candy. She got the candy box down and I don't know what all was eaten. Yes, I was on the living room couch for all of this, but I was asleep. I woke up when Jeff was yelling at Ella about it. Yikes.

Grandpa came over to see all four girls at once and we left when he left. Fish and guests start to stink after almost two days.

Speaking of stinking, while driving home, on the on ramp from 360 to I-20 W, the traffic suddenly slowed way down. There was mud everywhere and pretty high, which was weird since it hasn't really rained certainly not enough for that much mud. But a couple of cars had spun out on it and everyone else was going slow. So we get about half way through when the smell hits us. That, my friends, was not mud. I don't know how it got there but it was a poop mountain. Oh the smell. You've never smelled a smell like this smell. When we got home, it was still god awful. Why? Because there was poop all over the car. I took a hose to it and got most of it off, but it still wasn't enough. I knew I'd have to take it to get cleaned in one of those drive thru car washes.

We came home and I cleaned and we watched movies. I made spaghetti. I put Ruby to bed on time and she passed out. Then I was in bed by 8:30 pm. I told Maggie to go to bed by 10 pm because I knew I would be out and I was.
Friday

Ruby was up at 6:45 am. I was going to ignore her but I slept so well I decided what the heck. I did have to go check on her at 11:30 pm. She said she couldn't get her hair out of her mouth. Ok.

We got up and I read and worked and knitted. Ruby played and watched TV. Oh the amount of TV we've watched.

I made the girls get dressed and brush teeth and all that fun stuff and went to get in the car for the car wash and guess what happened? Come on, guess! THE EFFING CAR WOULD'T START. I could have cried. I tried to figure out what to do since I'm supposed to take the car to the body shop next week. Eventually I decided I'd pay the $100 to investigate the problem. It would take a long time so I'd be needing a rental for at least a week (including during the body shop).

Then the guy shows up to fix my car and he tells me it's not the battery. Or rather, not the car battery. The battery in my key fob is out. That's what I need to replace. It cost $8 (because I had to buy a 2-pack) and took less than five minutes.

After that we went through a car wash. It smells better but it's not great. Poop is really sticky, I guess. Ruby was amazed by the car wash.

We mostly stayed home after that. We watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Maggie is so funny. She doesn't want to watch the movies in order. After we watch each one, she wants to watch the next one of that group (like GOTG 2, instead of the next movie in the whole Marvel universe) but no! They have an order and then she loves the next one and wants to watch the next one in that group.

Ruby freaked out about 30 minutes before her bedtime. She was screaming and crying. I was trying to avoid putting her to bed early but it was no good. I had to practically drag her to her room and rock her for a long time to get her to calm down enough to go to sleep. It was crazy, I'm not sure what happened. Too much sugar? Overtired?

Saturday

Grandmo came in town. She got here bright and early. With donuts. We hung out and chatted and played and ate. Grandmo eventually needed a nap since she'd been up since 2 am.

She has a cabin at a lake now and invited us to come up this summer. Summer vacation on a lake sounds pretty nice.

I am going to try to make my kids more vegan food. I read a book about the best things I (or any individual) can do to combat climate change. They are: reduce driving, reduce flying, and eat a plant-based, vegan diet. I already eat almost all vegan (Christmas vacation not withstanding), but I am hoping to get a few meals my kids will eat. I checked out a cookbook and promised myself to really follow the recipe.

First recipe was burgers and I bought sweet potato fries to go with it. The burgers were really good. Maggie ate an entire burger. Ruby refused to even try it, but that's just because she's a punk. So, we'll keep trying and experimenting. Even if they only eat a few vegan things, at least it's expanding their palate so they'll be more likely to enjoy vegan foods.

After that, Maureen took the kids out. She took them to Goodwill and then Joe's to get dinner. I read. It was glorious. They brought home dinner and everyone ate. After that, we watched Lilo and Stitch. Then Ruby went to bed and the rest of us (mainly Maggie and me) finished Ant-Man (guess what Maggie wanted to watch next? the next Ant-Man).

I made Maggie go to bed by 9:30. School starts soon!

Sunday

We woke up early. Grandmo and Maggie had slept on the couch, so I woke them up and sent them to my room. Ruby ate the last two donuts and we puttered until 8 am. As soon as Grandmo woke up, I went and woke up Maggie. She'll have to get up early tomorrow.

I got word from the basset rescue that there's a new dog that needs a foster home. He appears to be much younger than Puddles and he's so skinny. Poor bud. He needs to see a vet first and then he'll come live with us.

We met Laurie and Jeff and their kids and Angie and her kids for brunch at a Mexican restaurant. It was very yummy and so fun to see everyone. Each family has two daughters.

When we were in the parking lot, I was telling Jeff about the poop mountain and the awful smell and we noticed there were a bunch of flies on my car! Ugh. It's getting better but jeez.

At home, we watched Captain America: Civil War. After that, I made dinner and we attempted to eat together. Maggie said she wasn't hungry yet and Ruby didn't want to eat either. Oh well. It's a process.

After that, we played games. Sort of. Ruby refuses to learn how to play any of the games but she wants to play which makes the whole thing difficult. It wasn't so bad.

Maggie and I read Harry Potter after Ruby went to bed. She was exhausted and fell asleep immediately. Back to life!


No comments:

Post a Comment