Monday, February 11, 2013

Monday

There are two parts to learning how to read. One is learning phonics, the rules of sounds. What sound does d make, what about oo or ee? It's also learning to put these sounds together to create words.

The other is sight words. Sight words are common words that do not follow rules or are just easier to memorize. Was, this, I, on, etc.

Maggie and I work on both. I made up a million games to work on sight words, thinking that would be more interesting to her. But she just kept wanting to look at the cards and read them, ie flashcards. I prefer to learn like that as well but I think that's so funny. It's like she invented flashcards. "Mom, let's just look at each card and I'll read the word instead of this game."

Today after working on sight words, she read another one of our readers. It is amazing to listen to her read.

She's been requesting a lot of music lately. It's interesting to hear her choices. She's asked for I shot the sheriff (I talk to Sherry), Major Tom (Space Oddity) by David Bowie and One Way or another by Blondie. She told me she liked Crazy for You by Madonna but when I tried to play it for her again she said she didn't like it. Who knows?

She came home from her Dad's house today and, for the first time since she's had visitation with him, said that she had fun with him. Now, I think she does have fun with him but she always tells me no. This was the first time she said yep, she had fun. I was glad.

She also is usually awful on the day she comes home. Very sensitive and tantrum-y. No fun. But that's gone away mostly too. Today she was in a great mood. We did reading, math and writing and read several books together. She was very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment