Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bits and pieces

  • Mom and I were sitting in the living room talking while Maggie was playing in the library with Gran. All of the sudden Maggie came running into the living room and said, Momma, Nana, we have to have a serious talk. So she came and sat down in her little red chair at the front of the room and told us there are ghosts in the library. She told us something about getting rid of them using kraken. Not sure what that means but good Lord, it was cute.
  • I'm starting to think Maggie is going to be a motivational speaker when she grows up. She brought me something she wanted me to fix. I told her I wasn't sure if I could do it. I started working on it and the whole time she said, "You're are doing so good. I'm so proud of you."
  •  She's really made big improvements in her reading. She was really struggling with sounding out words without breaks (ie. m. . . a. . . t, instead of mmmaaat). But she's really starting to get it and is having a lot of success. It's so exciting. 
  •  On the drive home, Maggie asked me, "Mommy, what can I do to grow?" I talked to her about healthy foods, etc. but I'm not sure where the question came from. The only thing I can think of is she associates growing with getting older. And the only thing I can think about that is maybe she wants Bodie to pay attention to her and she thinks being older will help. That is a completely random guess but jeez, I can't think of anything else.
  • One morning last week, we saw a car on the side of the road, broken down or in a wreck or something. I said, "Oh, what a bad way to start your morning." Well I guess Maggie thought it was funny because she's said it a few times since. I haven't actually seen any of these alleged broken down cars but I digress. Today, as we were driving home at 6pm, she said, "Mom, there were two cars on the grass. That's a bad way to start their morning."
  •  Maggie wanted me to hide Easter eggs most days this week. She loved hunting for them. I taught her the hot/cold game too (where you use hot, cold, warm, etc to help them find something) and she loved it. She tried to do it to but she didn't correspond it to actually looking for anything. She would randomly say, "Warmer, warmer, colder, you're on fire!"
  • Maggie asks questions all the time. I try to answer as thoroughly as possible every time. Occasionally after I explain something (ie how traffic lights work), she ask me, "Tell me the story of traffic lights again."
  • She is starting to notice family ties. She'll ask about how people are related. She refers to being a child's bio mom as having borned them. She tells everyone, "Mommy only borned me; we just take care of Jake."
  • I watched her tonight sing the monkey/alligator song. She put up 5 fingers and sang, "10 little monkeys playing in the tree, teasing Mr. Alligator, can't catch me. Along came the alligator and snap, 4 little monkeys playing the tree." It was cute to watch her do all the hand motions and count her fingers each time to make sure she sang the right number. 
  • You know the guy Phillipe something that tightrope walked between the Twin Towers in the 70s? Well I think that guy and his story is amazing. I used to show my students a video about it. I found a documentary on him on Netflix and tried to show it to Maggie (this was quite a while ago). I don't think she really understood what she was seeing and seemed to have no interest. Then tonight while I was putting her to bed, she said, "You remember that guy that type rope walked in the sky?" I couldn't believe she remembered that.

No comments:

Post a Comment