Sunday, November 20, 2016

Week in the Life, Day 1 (and pictures of our house!)

I'm mixing it up. These are the pictures Jeff took of the outside of our house. But I'm including a week in the life thing. I've had this on my to-do list for months but it's like we've been insanely busy or something. But! I feel like I can do this now so here goes.

Ruby has been waking up earlier and earlier. I let her play on the floor by the bed and try to grab a few more minutes of sleep which is foolish but sleep is a glorious thing. This morning I heard her manage to get the door to the toilet and shower open so I had to get up to keep her from dumping stuff in the toilet. We came out to the living room and I got her dressed and changed her diaper. Then we came into the kitchen and I got her yogurt and cheese for her breakfast and started my coffee.

I usually work out first thing but I've noticed two things: one, if I work out after I've been awake a little while, I give about 1000x more effort. Also, Ruby crawls all over me, steals my weights, and sticks her fingers in my eyes, ears, and nose. So! I've rearranged it so that I do all my exercise while she's napping. Right now, I'm trying to do a little work while she's awake in the morning. I sit in the dining room so she can't reach my computer.

I fed her breakfast, read her some books, and drank my coffee. Once she was done, I set her free to play and generally destroy stuff and got my computer to do a little work.
At 9 am, Ruby and I went to wake up Magsy. Then Maggie and I stripped the bed and crib and remade both. Then we all went into the kitchen, where I made breakfast, filled our waters, and cleaned the kitchen. We eat the same thing every day. Ruby and I have a sausage, broccoli, egg, and cheese scramble and Maggie has whole wheat toast with butter and jelly and sausage, which she makes into little sandwiches. While we eat, I read from our history book and chapter book (we're still in Narnia; we've finished The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and are reading The Horse and his Boy). Then Maggie reads from her chapter book (Mercy Watson Fights Crime) and does memory work (we're memorizing our karate studio's student creed and 10 principles). We also do Bedtime Math and talk about the day.

About half way through, Ruby was done, so I took her and laid her down for her morning nap.
After that, Maggie went to play, decorate Ruby's room for the pets, and. . . I don't know. Who knows? She's always moving things and setting them up. Some times I hear snippets but in general she's got the plan in her head and just keeps going. Every once in a while she asks me if she can have a broom or the rest of Spot's toys.
I alternated exercising and working. So, I did my work out video and then called references for my home studies. Then did a wall sit and ran intervals, then finished references. Then yoga, then writing my reports.
Once Ruby woke up, we headed to the kitchen for lunch (Maggie had a toasted ham and cheese sandwich with a cutie and tortilla chips, I finished breakfast, and Ruby mostly had yogurt) and listened to our audiobook (Lemony Snickett A Bad Beginning--which is. . . dark, but Maggie likes it). After lunch, we went for a walk. The weather has been so gorgeous. I made Maggie hold Spot's leash, which she finds exhausting, and we played the guessing game. 
After our walk, we ALL took a shower. It's a circus. We all get in at once and then get out one at a time. First me, then Ruby, then Maggie, who promptly goes to her bathroom and takes a bath. While Maggie took her bath, I played and looked at books with Ruby.

I eventually ate my lunch and Maggie decided she wanted a second lunch. Then Richard came over to see the girls. Ruby laid down for her afternoon nap, I worked, and Maggie did her math and spelling.
Ruby was fussy when she woke up. I'm guessing she's tired. It was the "nothing makes you happy" thing. Poor baby. We ate dinner (chili for Maggie and I and chili and yogurt with peanut butter for Ruby). We did high/low during dinner. Maggie had a great day until late this afternoon and then got upset about everything. She's better now but it was weird.

After dinner, we played in the living room. We sang nursery rhymes and played with the block/books with nursery rhymes in them. Ruby was very carefully trying to stack them (I think someone needs wooden blocks for Christmas). She's been pointing out face parts (when she wants to). She's saying Spot, kitty kat, dog, Maggie, Mommy, Daddy, Ella, bite, all done, more. She says hi, hello, and bye. Anytime someone goes near the front door, or really any door, she screams, BYE! and waves like crazy. Same with hi. It's a fantastic greeting. She's also saying, I love you. She usually just says it back when I say it (and when she wants to) but yesterday while Maggie was in the bath, she just walked up to her and said, I love you. So sweet. Also, today, I was counting and I said one and two and she said three. Of course when I tried to get her to do it again, NOTHING. She has never once said buttons again. Every time Richard sees her, he asks her to say buttons and never, not once. She's kind of a punk, kind of awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment