Monday, December 9, 2019

Keeping on

The weekend

The girls spent pretty much the whole weekend with their Dad, which was great because oh my goodness, my back. It hurt so bad. I was trying to walk and stretch and nothing seemed to help. I went back and forth with Laurie trying to guess what could be wrong and she suggested, you old. Very helpful.

Sunday

We had our rescheduled Thanksgiving lunch at Luby's. Richard brought the girls. My back was feeling better. It was a great lunch.

Grandpa wanted to get the girls to have them help with decorating his house. When we got home, I made the girls help me clean. I just couldn't do it by myself. I'm bad about making them clean. It's so much easier to do it myself, but that's not doing anyone any favors.



When Grandpa picked them up, I asked him to bring our Christmas tree in from the garage because I just did not think I could do it. I was able to get it set up.

When the girls got home, we ate dinner and watched Home Alone.






Monday

I took the girls to school and went straight to a PT appointment. When I had the diastasis recti thing, I went to a lady to fix it. She was great. Now she owns her own company so I made an appointment at one of her offices with another lady.

She did a bunch of tests and we talked. She told me that what she thinks happened is that when I was sick and stopped stretching for a long time, my muscles got super tight. For whatever reason, I have extremely tight hamstrings and hips, all that area. It causes a lot of problems. She said that when your muscles get too tight, there can be biochemical something something in there and that just stretching won't work. She said eventually the stuff will dissipate but it can take months. So she does dry needling to force the muscles to release. Dry needling is basically getting a needle shoved into your muscle and then they wiggle it around until the muscle spasms and releases. Super fun. I'm supposed to continue stretching often and taking walks to try to keep everything open and moving.

I have two end-of-term papers due Wednesday so I got home and set down to get started and, I swear, the second I opened my computer, my phone rang. It was Ruby's school. She had a fever and had to come home. When I got her, they said she can't come back until at least Wednesday. Oy vey!

I told Ruby I had to work and told her to be cool. And she kind of was. We went and got Maggie a few minutes before school was over. I told Maggie to turn on something for them so I could keep working. This week is so busy!

Ruby insisted on going to bed early, which was weird, but I guess she doesn't feel good. She doesn't seem too sick. The school said her temp was 100.0 so. . . She's been coughing a little. I gave her expectorant and some ibuprofen and let her go to bed more than an hour earlier than usual.
Maggie and I read a chapter and then she played on her computer game.

Tuesday

Ruby woke up twice in the night. The first time was 2 am and she said she needed to throw up, but she didn't. I'm guessing it was just drainage. Then she woke up around 4 am and wanted to get up. I told her no but I gave her a granola bar because she said she was hungry.

At actual wake up time, we got up and took Maggie to school. Then we walked the dogs. Puddles is still limping and Buddy was outside and saw us walking away and started running after us crying, so we cut the walk short and took Puddles and Buddy home. Then we went back out with just Spot. After both walks, I did all of my stretches. I definitely feel so much better. I don't think I could ride my bike or run, but a couple of days ago I could barely walk, so progress!

When we got home, we took a shower. I hoped it would help break up Ruby's congestion. I told her I had to work and she mostly respected that. She did make a mess (although the whole house is a mess!) but what are you gonna do? I finished my longer paper and turned it in.

Then we ran errands. I went back to the chiropractor. Then to U-haul. The plan was to get a hitch so I could attach a bike rack. But! It turns out my frame is just barely bent and he couldn't attach it. So, bummer. I can ride on the 287 frontage road but it's kinda scary. As long as I go mid-morning there's very little traffic.

After that, we picked up Maggie from school. I finished my second (and last for the semester!!!) paper. Grandpa picked up the girls and took them to dinner. They put up outdoor Christmas lights too.

I realized that Maggie has both a field trip tomorrow and a dentist appointment. I told her sorry, but dentist comes first. I hope this is helpful for remembering why it's important to brush your teeth. We'll see.

She told me a girl in after school care was being mean to her again and I asked her why. She said someone told the girl she'd been talking about her but she hadn't. Then she said, I always try to give her advice and she gets mad at me. So I explained (unsolicited) that no one likes unsolicited advice and that, if this girl doesn't ask for advice, she shouldn't offer it. People feel like that's an insult and are likely to insult you back. Will she take that to heart? We'll see.

Wednesday

Ruby woke up early, but only by like an hour so she was NOT going back in her room. Then I had to let stupid Puddles out. Gosh, I can't remember, I guess I just got up. For reference, it's 3:19 now and I cannot remember this morning. Laurie was right; I am old! Although not as old as her.

I had Ruby sing happy birthday for a video for Laurie. At the end Ruby refused to say, I'll see you tonight. So I posted the video on FB and wrote, only minor subordination; happy birthday, we'll see you tonight. Then Laurie posted that Ruby was uninvited and, because it's fun to mess with kids (she messes with me way more than the other way around!), I videoed Ruby telling her that Aunt Laurie said she couldn't come. She was indignant and I think accidentally said, I'll see you tonight.

I was going to keep her home cos why not, but then I decided to send her to school. Oh I'm so glad I did. I woke Maggie up and everyone got ready. Maggie did not take the dental appointment well. It was very dramatic. I cannot imagine if I'd had both of them there. Ruby would have freaked out. I had to hold Maggie's hands and talk to her to keep her calm. Afterwards, I told her over and over, as long as you brush your teeth every day, with toothpaste, twice a day, for the whole time, you'll never get another cavity. Fingers crossed.

Later, we had to take Puddles to the vet. Guess whether or not a massively fat basset hound can get herself into a car. I tried to make sure I used my legs but it still didn't feel great. She has a swollen toe and because of her size and shape, she can't really limp to let it heal. She needs all four legs. So they put her on pain meds and antibiotics to try to fix whatever is wrong.

Maggie and I finished decorating for Christmas. This is the latest we've ever done it, but man, it's hard to decorate with a bad back. I'm so over my back. Get better!

At night, we went to Laurie's birthday party at Moni's. It was very nice and yummy. It was me and mine, Laurie, Jeff, Ella, Jill, Grandpa, Sally, Bruce, and Uncle Steve.

Ruby woke up crying at 11 something. I went in there and rocked her and put her back to bed. I think I'm going to try to get her a weighted blanket. It just kind of dawned on me that maybe that would help her sleep.

Thursday

Ruby woke up a little early. She wanted to just go stare at the Christmas tree. So that's what she did. I was grumpy. My stupid back! It's not even that it's that bad. It's just. . . it's been hurting for almost a month. That's insane.

I got the girls around 4 and we just hung out at home. Ruby and I took the dogs for a walk. Puddles is doing much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment