Thursday, January 17, 2013

Wednesday

Today we had Safety Day at our homeschool co-op. It was very cool. We wanted to cover what to do in a fire or other emergency. We had several firemen come and talk to our kids. We practiced stop, drop and roll and staying near the floor in an emergency. It was a nice way to ease back in to school. Next week we start regular classes.

When we got home, we did reading again and again she rocked it. It was amazing to see. She sounded out and read several words independently.

I've been wanting us to watch less TV so I've been encouraging games, toys, reading, anything but TV. She's been pretty open to it. We've read a ton of books, including finishing our Magic Tree House series. I'm thinking about getting a copy of the Narnia books next.

Maggie isn't a big fan of games. She doesn't like that there are rules you have to follow. She insists we play her way. I go back and forth (which I'm sure is helpful) on whether I insist on the rules or her way. Usually I make her follow the rules or I won't play with her. She doesn't like that so she won't play most games, which is CRAZY. What kid doesn't want to play Candyland????

We stayed at Dad's house but when we got there the TV was broken (woohoo--Mom; boo--Maggie). So I talked Maggie into getting in bed early and reading a ton of books. It was so fun. We read over an hour. We finished our last MTH book, read Madeline and the Jungle Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment