Thursday, November 21, 2019

Holy sh!t, a talking snake

Monday

The girls got home late last night and I had to put Ruby straight to bed. She told me, I want to stay up with you guys. Oh! Sweet girl. She clearly didn't feel great. Sure enough, I heard her crying around 10:30 pm and went in. She was on the floor with her pants and undies around her ankles. She told me, I don't have any water. So I got her water off her bed and handed it to her. I tried to pull her pants up and get her in bed but she insisted she didn't want her pants up nor to be in her bed. I gave her some ibuprofen because she must have felt bad.


I woke up a few minutes before my alarm buzzed and went and checked on her. She was still asleep so I just kept quiet and let her sleep. Around 8 am I checked again and she had her eyes open. She told me she didn't want to go to school but I wanted her to try. She didn't have a fever and I REALLY need to work.
These are pictures Maggie took.

I was able to get all my stuff done and mostly caught up, but I had to finish early to get Maggie. While reading Maggie some of her old blog posts about her past need for glasses, she told me that she can definitely see better in one eye than the other. Ugh! So, I made an appointment to get her eyes checked. She was thrilled to get out of school early. We went to the eye place and she got a full exam. The doctor determined that there is a discrepancy again (although not as bad as it used to be) and she is far sighted. She said neither were horrible but she is having to work harder to compensate. It doesn't appear to have an affect now, but will probably only get worse. Back to glasses.


After that appointment, we went and got Ruby. Oh she looked sad. Not actually sad, just quiet and still. Very unlike the usual loud, happy girlie. We went to the glasses place and picked out frames. Maggie was not happy it would take two weeks to get them. She must have asked ten times. After that, we went home. Poor Ruby was hot again. I gave her cough medicine and ibuprofen and we finished Captain Marvel.
Tuesday

Ruby is better! When she got up this morning, she was not hot!!! She was happy and sweet. I got her dressed and ready and she laughed and was silly. Hooray for healthy children!
Grandpa was going to get them after school but he got suddenly sick. I have a late appointment on Tuesday but as soon as I finished I grabbed Ruby and went to Maggie's school. It was the book fair and they had set up a Polar Express theme. We went to the library first. Maggie picked out her books. After that, we got hot chocolate and sugar cookies (Ruby wanted a little candy cane). We only stayed a little while because I want to make sure Ruby is getting her sleep.



I put Ruby straight to bed when we got home. I'm still giving her cough medicine, especially at night because I hear her coughing. Maggie and I read Harry Potter and then she read her new books.

Wednesday

Stupid Puddles woke me up at 4 am barking, which is very rude. I didn't sleep well last night either so today hasn't felt great. Ruby was still asleep when my watch buzzed. I went and checked on her and she was snoozing. I cannot bring myself to wake her up. I'm not sure I've ever woken her up (that's probably not true, but it feels true). Maggie woke up and wanted to go so she could go back to the library before the bell rang. But I waited until Ruby was up. She was laughing and playful so I think she's better. She doesn't sleep late. It's only 30 minutes or less after the usual time we get up so, maybe, I'll just wake her up. I don't know. Maybe, she's just still getting better, and she'll be up early again soon enough.
Grandpa was feeling better so he grabbed the girls from school and hung out with them for a while. When he brought them home, we were talking and I told him I've been leaving Ruby's door unlocked. I said, I'll just tell her if she comes out before her green light, I'll go back to locking it (CAN YOU TELL THIS IS FORESHADOWING???????).
Grandpa said he called Ruby a monkey and she told him, no, I'm Mommy's baby. Gah! She can be so damn sweet.
Ruby took a bath and we played for a while. She is so silly. I asked her how her day was and she told me, Terrible. And good. I said, oh what was good? She named a few friends. I said, what was terrible? She named one name. I said, was she mean to you? She said, no she's mean to my friends. I asked her if she told her teacher but she said, no I don't like to do that.
After her bath, she got dressed. She put her pants on and then started messing with her knee. She said, it hurts, there's something in there. So I reached my hand in and felt. . . the seam. Oh dear. This is the age this stuff started for Maggie. I didn't notice it at first. She just stopped wearing pants. Pictures from when Maggie was four, she is almost always in a tutu or bathing suit. And then those didn't work anymore and it became finding pants that didn't bother her. She still will only wear socks and underwear when forced (I don't but her Dad does). Pants have gotten easier. Target makes a line that is specifically for kids like her and she likes their stuff. I've bought her pants and shorts and she will wear them. At least I won't be starting from scratch if Ruby has the clothing sensitivity issue.

Maggie watched Lady and the Tramp last night. The old one, not the new one. I was so tired so I just read. I had trouble falling asleep. For whatever awful reason, the less sleep I get, the harder it is for me to sleep. I do that startle awake thing sometimes several times for getting into a deep sleep and each time you have to settle down and get comfortable again.

Thursday

Guess who woke me up at 5:20 am? Not Ruby. Puddles. I thought, what the hell? She sleeps in a cage because she wakes me up in the middle of the night and forget that noise. I jumped up and ran to the living room and every single light on that side of the house was on and there was Ruby playing at her little kitchen. I let Puddles out and put Ruby to bed. She was mad but I told her the rules and she calmed down. I locked her door so she couldn't come back out. Then stupid Puddles wouldn't come in. She was just wandering around. So I went back to bed, but then I woke up around 6:30 and thought I better let her in. Then Ruby woke up at 7:30 and basically, I hate everything.

THEN! Ok, so yesterday I ate candy. Not much but enough to make me feel awful. I was so dizzy and nauseous. Then today I thought ok no candy, but maybe a granola bar and it was even worse. For like two hours I couldn't stand without holding on to something or having to crouch. I was so nauseous I wanted to throw up in the hopes of getting some relief. It was so bad, I thought something must be really wrong. But because the only thing I know to do is to eat something good, I ate a bowl of beans. And was completely fine after a little while. It seems like eating sugar (sugar seems to have the most noticeably awful affect) makes me sicker and sicker the older I get. It seems like such an easy thing but sugar is so addictive. I don't even like it but I crave it. But this is too much.

I got the girls and Ruby was devastated about the fact that Maggie had a balloon and they fought and Ruby cried. Then Maggie agreed to let her play with it and they both completely forgot about it. Kids!
This is a story Maggie wrote. She has a whole packet from the planning to the outlining and the early drafts. This is the final draft.

I sent this to Laurie and she didn't get it and didn't think it was funny. I think it's hilarious. Because that's what you would say, holy shit! a talking snake! Funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment