Monday, February 22, 2021

Winter storm

 So, last week was apocalyptic. It could have been fine, a fun snow day or days. But no! Because we value our "freedom," power went out or threatened to go out. Water had to be boiled or you didn't have any at all. For those that count this as freedom, there are lots of countries where this is just life. Go live there.

Sunday evening I started seeing the electric companies telling us to conserve power. Then power started going out. We were incredibly lucky ours never went out. Laurie's was out for days. She had to drive (in awful conditions) to a hotel. Once she got there, their power went out as well. Jeff stayed home. 

But, of course, we didn't know our power wouldn't go out. We made plans or I did. I told the girls what would happen. Ruby didn't understand the seriousness of our situation but Maggie did. Everyone else I know had power out and were in insane conditions. We live in America!

Water got bad pretty quickly. We either had low water pressure or partially frozen pipes. We had no water in the kitchen but the main bathroom worked. The bathroom in my room wouldn't flush. I saved water in the bathtub in case we needed it to flush toilets. We got a boil water notice at some point. I have a ton of distilled water I keep in my garage so we used that. We conserved as much as possible. I told my kids not to shower. We turned everything off and unplugged everything. It was literally the only thing we could do to help.

Ruby and I played Trash and listened to Hamilton.

Basically everything shut down. Because so many people didn't have power, we couldn't work or go to school or anything. 
The girls after playing in the snow.

Arlington ISD isn't opening at all until Wednesday and then only virtual on Wednesday. They say they are trying to reopen schools this Thursday, depending on damage. Unfortunately, Maggie's school is on the damaged list so who knows?


Me and Ruby staying warm. The girls rarely got dressed even though it was 5 degrees at one point. Ridiculous!
Ruby's hair was insane. I guess because the heater was going so much. It was huge and tangled.



No comments:

Post a Comment