Sunday, March 15, 2020

Quarantine: Day 1

I started hearing about COVID-19 in January, I think. This may be the only time in my life I saw the future, acted decisively and was right. I did two things pretty quickly. One, I stocked up. I got toilet paper, not a ridiculous amount but hopefully enough to take us through, and extra non-perishables of things I hope the kids will eat. Frozen stuff too.

Two, I got a job with a salary. This is going to go down as the smartest thing I ever did. I knew shit would be bad and I started applying in early February. Then I had some good luck. I got several calls immediately. One place called and said they had filled what I had applied for but had another open position and would I come interview. Even though I wasn't too interested in that position, I went in. THANK GOD! I interviewed with four people and they offered me the job on the spot. I filled out paperwork the next day and my salary starts tomorrow. Truly so lucky. I don't know what I would have done because CK is great but it's all contract based on face to face contact and I would have been sh!t outta luck.

Friday was a bad day. When the NBA closed, it felt scary, but still far away. When the schools closed, I panicked. It felt too real. Too close to home. I've never seen schools close. Maybe for a snow day now and then but this. It's scary. After crying and panicking, I used my anxiety tools. Mainly, I made a list. I made a routine for us. How we would order our days and all the things we could do? I know if we fall into a screen free for all, we'll fall apart. We can't do that. So, I let myself freak out and check out and whatever on Friday but Saturday was day one of quarantine.

So, Saturday!

I got up at 7 am. That's our new time. Unfortunately Ruby wasn't up yet and I can't bring myself to wake her. So I read on my phone for a few minutes until I heard her. Maggie was up late the night before so I let her sleep in a little too.

Ruby and I got ready and went to the living room. I fed the dogs and then exercised. After that, I made Maggie get up. We sat at the table and had breakfast (kind of) and I tried to play an audiobook. It was not wholly successful. Ruby doesn't really get it and she just keeps talking. So then we went outside, while Maggie stayed inside doing art.

Our neighbor's daughter just turned one and her birthday party was today, but they had to cancel. Bummer.

We are reading James and the Giant Peach. Ruby is doing better at listening to that. She understands to not talk while I read and can pay attention (I'm not sure how much of the story she is getting but whatever). Maggie loves it. It also helps Ruby that he does very short chapters.

After that, I let Ruby pick a movie and Maggie and I kinda did our own thing. Then lunch. Ruby helped me cook.

Oh also we're cleaning a lot. We deep cleaned the couch. Cloroxed and Lysoled everything twice. Did pick ups. Dishes. Laundry. We can't fall apart. This isn't Christmas break. We gotta keep up and active and so on.

After lunch we did more cleaning and then reading. Maybe art stuff. Then Maggie picked a movie and we all were quiet. Then we did yoga. Free quiet (screen-free) time. Read alouds. I read from James and then I thought we would read through the blog books. It's almost 12 years of posts about them. Fun stuff.

After that, it was time for my movie. We're starting the Marvel movies. Everyone likes them. They are fun and easy. After that, we can do Star Wars. We watched the first Iron Man.

Then dinner. Ruby helped me cook again. We did more cleaning. We all sat together at dinner. Oh we took a bath too. Maggie and Ruby were getting along so well and it warmed my heart.

Maggie has a basic idea of what's happening. I told her I need her to be a team player. We're in this together and it's just us for who knows how long. We have to take care of each other and be kind. Ruby doesn't really understand. She's asked if she's going to school most mornings. I've just told her we have to stay home. We can't go out and no one can come over. I plan on doing a Skype time most days so they feel a little less isolated.

After bath and dinner, we continued my movie until Ruby's bedtime. We did our usual routine and she went right out. Then Maggie and I finished Iron Man and had quiet time for a little while. I made her get in bed by 9 pm and she was out.

That's day one. Here's hoping we can look back at how scared we were and this will all be over soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment